Travel Hands is a story of a blind or partially sighted person, who can see from their heart and mind, and of a sighted person, who is willing to see the world from the eyes of a blind individual. Travel Hands is registered as a charity in England, charity number 1201509
Travel Hands intends to relieve VIP (Visually Impaired People) by facilitating a safe, convenient, and inexpensive outdoor travel experience for them. The main objectives of the organisation are:
- To assist London-based VIP with their outdoor travel challenges (especially roadside safety) by pairing them with sighted and verified volunteers near them.
- To promote social inclusion for the public benefit by preventing VIP from becoming socially excluded by providing support from the local community and assisting them to integrate into society using Travel Hands.
- To relieve immediate family members or carers of VIP from providing in-person assistance in travelling outdoors by replacing them with on-demand support available in their local community.
- To promote social inclusion for the public benefit by creating awareness around the challenges faced by VIP through providing empathy training and mobility assistance training to the sighted population.
- To preserve and protect the health of VIP and sighted volunteers for the public benefit by creating increased opportunities to be physically active and socially cohesive in their community.
- To advance job opportunities available to VIP by reducing roadblocks in outdoor travel.
- To promote social inclusion for the public benefit among the local community by increasing empathy for people with disabilities.